Teresa's Vegan Journey

Meet Teresa: another of the sanctuary's founders. Here, she shares her journey to veganism and reasons for starting the sanctuary! A powerful story, it is the last in our series of introductions to the founders.

How long have you been vegan and what inspired you to make the change?

I have been vegan for just over 4 years. I was a meat eater for the majority of my life but decided to become vegetarian after realising my love for our dogs. Soon after, I became vegan after watching ‘What The Health’ on Netflix and learning more about the atrocities of the dairy industry.

How has it changed you and your life?

It has changed my life completely. I was a meat eater and grew up in a house where animals were meant to serve humans, alive or dead. Drinking the blood of the beef joint was a celebrated event! Emotionally, to be a vegan is the most peaceful change you can make. To live a life knowing you are not responsible for causing pain and suffering to beings we share the earth with is an extraordinary feeling. Physically, I run faster, I can lift heavier weights, do more reps and generally have more energy. Also I don’t get colds anymore (that last bit isn’t scientific, it may just be me)!


What are your go-to's for easy vegan meals and snacks?

Richmond Meat Free sausages and This Isn’t Bacon. You can be a healthy vegan or an unhealthy vegan! The choice for vegan food is vast now... just have a google of ‘accidentally vegan food’.

What are your favourite vegan brands, from food to clothing?

I don't really buy new clothes myself but, if I did, a brand that I really love and admire is Defender of Animals. The awesome guy behind it, Darrell, is a passionate vegan and donates all of his profits to our animals and other sanctuaries. Apparel can be such a vehicle of expression, and spreading compassion is the best expression!


How do you deal with non-vegan colleagues or acquaintances?

Dealing with non-vegan colleagues and acquaintances is tricky and can be painful. But my real struggle is dealing with non-vegan family and friends. I knew that I wouldn’t ever sit down with my family to eat again. I’m sure everyone is different but I feel such a surge of pain when watching people I love eat the flesh of a carcass. Being vegan is much more than a dietary choice; you see the world differently.

Why did you decide to open the sanctuary?

We decided to open the sanctuary because we had the land. The original plan of turning the barns into a recording studio and a rehearsal space seemed pretty insignificant compared to saving the lives of innocent beings born into so cruel of a world.

Comments

Popular Posts