Bex on Becoming Vegan

Everybody who turns to plant-based living has a story to tell about how they got there, and more importantly, stayed forever. Here our founder Bex shares her vegan journey and the discoveries that helped along the way.

How long have you been vegan and what inspired you to make the change? 

I went veggie at around 15, after watching some slaughterhouse footage on a PETA dvd. it was so harrowing and stuck in my mind. I realised I couldn’t be someone who loves and cares for animals and also support their torture and death. I became vegan a long time after when we, as a family, watched a documentary and decided to take that extra step!

How has it changed you and your life?

Personally, it has made me feel complete. I now feel like I live in line with my values, and I can give my love and compassion to the animals around me without feeling guilt. I strongly believe that all creatures are equal. No one is better, no one should be exploited for another’s gain. That’s true for any creature on Earth. 

What are your go-to's for easy vegan meals and snacks?

Balance, variety and colour! Get lots of fresh veggies in there, some grain, some beans or pulses, some nuts and seeds – loads of different textures and colours. Then you know you’re getting a good range of nutrients. Remember the first bite is with your eyes... 

What are your favourite vegan brands, from food to clothing? 

I love Wills Vegan Store. I’ve bought a pair of walking boots, and more recently a pair of their dock boots, and I love them both. They’re a carbon-neutral company, their products are vegan and ethically sourced. 

How do you deal with non-vegan colleagues or acquaintances? 

With no judgement. We all ate meat and dairy too, before we realised how horrific it was, and how much we care for animals. I believe most people wouldn’t want to inflict pain and suffering on other living beings if they could avoid it. Sadly, we are just so disconnected, and no one wants to think about it. At the sanctuary we want people to be able to spend time with the animals who live here and learn how incredible and sentient they are. We will tell the truth about where they come from if people ask. It’s important to know the truth. Then you can make an informed decision on your actions. 

Why did you decide to open the sanctuary? 

We believe that if you have the capacity to make a positive difference, you should. We couldn’t let our 4 acres just sit there empty when we knew that individuals were being slaughtered because they didn’t have anywhere to go. Once you know it’s happening, you can’t turn a blind eye. It hurts every day knowing how many out there are suffering. But the animals here are a constant reminder that if you can save just one, you’re changing the whole world for that individual. 

Comments

Popular Posts